Providing care for our smallest patients requires precise skill, complex technology, specialized facilities, and passionate caregivers. UMC’s NICU facilities include a Level IV nursery, a neonatal air transport team, pre-discharge “Rooming In” services, and infant CPR training.
The Highest Designation in NICU Care
UMC Children’s Hospital was awarded the NICU Level IV Designation, the highest designation for NICUs in Texas, meaning we provide the highest level of care to our neonatal patients. Here, you can trust that the health of your newborn is in the best of hands.
Our specialized pediatric healthcare professionals include:
- Sub-Specialty Pediatric Physicians
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioners
- Neonatal Nurses
- Respiratory Therapists
- Lactation Counselors
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Hospital Chaplains
Physicians are available in the hospital 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, as a part of a unique benefit of being associated with the Texas Tech University Health Science Center.
The NICU uses cutting-edge intensive care technology designed specifically for infants, including:
- “Rooming In” rooms to simulate an at-home experience.
- Noise-dampening ceiling tiles, soft flooring, and gentle lighting.
- Monitoring systems with electronic medical record integration.
- Versilette “Giraffe” beds, the most developmentally supportive micro-environment available.
Center for Perinatal Medicine
Our Center for Perinatal Medicine offers sophisticated care for high-risk mothers and their pre-birth babies in a warm, nurturing, and friendly atmosphere. The focus is on comprehensive perinatal care in collaboration with the referring provider.
Features of our Center for Perinatal Medicine include:
- Perinatologists available around the clock
- High-risk pregnancy consultations
- Genetic counseling
- Non-stress testing services
- State-of-the-art ultrasound